Madame (aka The Old Lady, her real name is not mentioned) is the human woman who adopted and raised Babar after his mother was killed by the hunter. She let him live inside her home before his coronation to king. Then he later built a home for her in Celesteville of Elephant City.
Madame has an old and dear friend whom was featured playing an organ in The Phantom.
She is a kind-hearted and generous person. She loves Babar and his family as if they were her very own family. She does a number of jobs to help around Celesteville, she is a teacher for many of the children of Celesteville. She is also a nurse, as shown in Babar's Triumph and in The Intruder, is mentioned that she is a member the Ladies Auxilery Fire Department.
- Madame is the only human resident in Celesteville.
- Just like in the books, Babar stayed with her when he was in the city, while it is never stated in the show how long he stayed with her, it is possible that just like in the story, he was with her for 2 years.
- While she didn't have as many speaking roles as in the earlier seasons, she still made many appearances.
- She is absent from Babar and the Adventures of Badou, where it is assumed she died of old age in the time between it and the original series.
- She doesn't appear in Season 6 of Babar (TV Series), because the family is traveling all around the world to many different places visiting special lands.
- She has received two snake bites in the episode The City of Elephants. It happened again in Babar: King of the Elephants.